Our building and our grounds
Christ Church (grid reference SD775116) is a Grade II* listed building. The church was built in 1888 in the Gothic Revival style. The construction was paid for by Rev J G Haworth and Miss Nancy Haworth and was constructed as the Jesse Haworth Memorial Church in memory of Jesse Haworth (1835–1888) a British cotton magnate. It is a landmark church, visible from miles around. Pevsner describes the building as “ambitious” and “a demonstration of liberality”. He commended the architect, Lawrence Booth, who, he says, “rose to the occasion. He also rose to the capabilities of the site on the hill.” Built in one phase over a period of four years, starting in 1888, Christ Church is a fine example of the Victorian Gothic Revival style. It cost £20,000 to build. The church houses a number of very fine stained glass windows produced by the celebrated William Pape of Leeds. The churchyard contains war graves of three soldiers and two airmen of World War II. The support of English Heritage and a great deal of work by members of the congregation has allowed restoration work on the roof, West window and other critical features of the church in recent years.
Our grounds are a great place for reflection and contemplation and provide a safe place for a range of wildlife including, from time to time, deer.
As well as other historical material, the church archive includes registers of Baptisms, Confirmations, Marriages, Burials and other services. These can often be a valuable source of information for people tracing family connections or carrying out historical research.
If you have an enquiry relating to material held in the church archive, please use the form on the contact page, giving as much information as possible. We shall try to help as best as we can...
Better still why not come and visit us .... we have services every Sunday morning!